background

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Hawthorne Berry Elixir

A Wondrous and Earthy Hawthorne Berry Infusion Experiment

Remember back in October when I picked a bunch of "haws" from our hawthorne tree and decided to make a hawthorne berry cordial? http://thedelightist.blogspot.com/2013/10/pumpkin-carving-walnut-crushing-booze.html
before

  Initially I set out to make a hawthorne cordial and a schnapps.  Which is a way of saying I was going to infuse booze (brandy for the cordial and vodka for the schnapps) with the haws then add some sweetness with honey at the end.  However, when I tasted my infusion after a letting it sit for about 7 weeks, I decided sweetness wasn't the way to go.  It had an absolutely lovely, woody, earthy, but indescribable flavor that to my tastebuds, would not be improved upon by adding sweetness.  On the other hand it wasn't compelling enough on its own so I cautiously let a stick of cinnamon bark sit in there for one day.  And then added a few drops of orange bitters to round out the flavor.  These additions really brought out its essence and turned it into something one would very much enjoy wee dram of by the fireside. Perfect for sipping on a wintery evening. Everyone who has tried it has been surprised at how delightful it is. And possibly surprised by the fact that I haven't poisoned them with an unfamiliar berry.  Actually hawthorne berries are very medicinal:http://www.susunweed.com/herbal_ezine/November08/healingwise.htm. And can be used in many different ways:
http://wildcrafty.wordpress.com/2010/03/19/what-can-i-do-with-hawthorn-berries/.   I will definitely be doing this again next fall.  Maybe I'll even branch out into making the jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment